Although I got a treadmill desk four years ago, it took me quite some time (a few years!) to figure out how to use it.
I believe this is one piece of equipment that can make the most difference in your health if you use it right.
Because it’s about reorganizing your life so that you treat your body the way your body wants you to treat it.
Tips for using the treadmill desk:
- First, I go slow. One mile an hour to 1.5. Any faster is WAY too fast. The goal is not to exercise but be in movement.
- Next, you want to make sure you get a stand for your computer if it’s a laptop. The screen needs to be at eye level.
- You want to increase the time of usage every day. Stand with one hour a day and increase by ten minutes a day, every week.
- As an end goal, three hours a day on the desk is enough for most people (But you also want to reduce your sitting time in general)
Here’s how I use the treadmill desk:
- To do some computer work: emails, writing, etc. In fact, I am writing this article while active at 1 mile per hour.
- For any Skype calls, phone calls, etc.
- To watch TV! (yes, I also sit down on a couch to relax too, but the idea is that I try not to do it TOO MUCH)
- To eat! I eat breakfast and lunch standing up, with lunch on my desk. Call me crazy, but honestly, I’m not missing sitting down. One sit-down meal is enough every day.
I don’t use the treadmill desk as a way to do more exercise. It’s simply a way to stay in movement.
Now, if you don’t work from home, I believe you can still use a treadmill desk.
First, find out if your employer would allow you to use one at work.
But in any case, for homes, treadmill desks are useful to watch TV, do some light computer work, etc.
The idea is to have a standing surface that you can use for many purposes, but the treadmill under makes it more practical. Standing for extended periods of time in the same position is also bad for postures (although not as much as sitting down!)
So I encourage you to give this “weird” idea a try! Check out the treadmill desk I recommend here.