Dr. Michael Greger is someone who really does keep up-to-date on all the latest nutrition information, and he’s passionate about sharing it with people. He has been a medical doctor in the plant-based nutrition field for years and always presents his information in an easily digestible way.
Low carbohydrate diets are a diet fad that has been around for years. Whether it’s Atkins, paleo, primal, or anywhere in between, there have been people writing books saying that eating bacon and eggs, in lieu of starches and vegetables, is the panacea of good health. Some of us may have an idea as to why that’s not really the case, but not everyone understands the real health challenges people can face on such diets.
Check out this video of Dr. Greger explaining the pitfalls of low carb diets, how to avoid them, and more:
- Understand what the insulin index is and how certain foods’ different indexes directly affect your health.
- Take a look at why beef, a carbohydrate-void food, actually spikes insulin levels higher than that of white potatoes, bread, or pasta.
- What exactly causes diabetes and how what you eat can either help with or cause it.
- Why your insulin sensitivity is so important to your overall health and how this common practice can actually wreak havoc on it.
- How treating the cause for diseases like diabetes vs. simply treating symptoms is the only way to allow people to become truly healthy.
There will always be fad diets out there claiming to offer all the health benefits and absolutely none of the pitfalls. The reality is that there really is no perfect one-size-fits-all diet that you can box every single person into.
That being said, sausages and eggs for breakfast every morning may not prove to be the healthiest for anyone involved.
But with a combination of common sense and modern science, we can say that eating more whole fruits, vegetables, grains and other plant foods in your diet will almost always be for the better.