Dear Frederic, Is there any book can you recommend me that you have written or any other article that I should read about raw vegan pregancy? Please let me know. Thank you Tity
ANSWER: I have not written an article on the subject because I simply do not have any type of experience on this. I did not think of covering this before because I do not have children of my own. And I don’t like to talk about things I don’t have any experience with.
But here are a few pointers that will certainly put you in the right direction:
1) The main thing during pregnancy and breastfeeding is to get enough calories. Most raw-foodists are not consuming enough food. That’s okay for a while if you need to release some weight, but when you have a human being growing inside of you, you need to get enough nutrition. So I really recommend counting calories and making sure you are getting enough foods.
2) Just to be certain to get enough minerals from greens, I would also recommend either a few green smoothies a day, or a big blended salad, or about 16 ounces of vegetable juice (mostly greens like celery, spinach, kale, with a bit of carrot and lime for flavor). Salads are great but most people don’t chew well enough.
3) Protein and fat is not more an issue during pregnancy or breast feeding than any other time. Again, what’s important is to get enough calories from healthy sources.
4) Vegan doctors worldwide also recommend a vitamin B12 supplement.
5) Other factors of healthy living are just as important: sunshine, proper (safe) exercise, sleep (crucial).
As for raising kids there is more to say because nutritional requirements are a bit different for them just in terms of the ratio of fat to carbs. But we will talk about this in another issue.