The Best Time to Eat Oranges and Citrus
There’s been a little talk on one raw food bulletin board about one statement I made in a booklet I published, the 36 Tips for Raw-Foodists and Wannabes, about not eating too many acid fruits because they “disturb the nervous system” and erode the enamel of the teeth.
I’m not the only one who wrote about this. Dr. Albert Mosseri of France, a natural hygienist who wrote more than 20 books (which I have read), said the same thing.
My tip for today is: “Limit the quantities of acid fruit in your diet”
When you eat lots of acid fruit, especially if they are unripe, you might not digest them properly. The excess acidity can disturb the system.
I’m sure you have tried eating pineapple or another acid fruit lat at night and felt a little uncomfortable when sleeping. Or perhaps you were tired and tried to eat an orange and it just didn’t digest well.
In France, there’s a saying, “Oranges are Gold in the morning, Silver at midday, and Bronze at Night.” It means that it’s best to eat acid fruits in the morning, when you have more energy available to digest them.
It’s okay to eat a fair amount of citrus, pineapple or other acid fruits, as long as they are ripe, which usually isn’t the case unless you live where they are grown.
However, I don’t think it would be wise to eat them at every meal. I would also avoid fruits that are too acid because they have been picked too green.
You might also find with time that your ability to digest these foods will improve. A lot of people following a wrong diet have compromised digestion cannot handle a lot of acid fruits. Eventually, that improves as health improves.
So to summarize:
– Limit the quantities of acid fruits in your diet to a few oranges per day, or the equivalent, unless you can get them fully ripe.
– Avoid eating acid fruits late in the day.
– If you are sick or tired, avoid acid fruits
– If you have digestion problems, prefer non-acidic fruits.
Also, rinse the mouth with water every time you eat acid fruits to rinse off the acidity. Otherwise, it could contribute to enamel erosion overtime.